Thursday, August 14, 2008

Too Many Restaurants




Justyna (my colleague in the history department and fellow new teacher) and I went on a hike around our new neighborhood. We both found apartments in the same building a few blocks from Futako. One thing that we noticed as we walked around was that there were a ridiculous amount of restaurants in the area. I would estimate it at between 50 and 100 or so. All of them specialize in special things: ramen noodles, tapas-like small entrees to be eaten while you drink alcohol, sushi, pork cutlet, etc. I am still planning on dieting this year, but it is going to be much harder. There is also this nice green walking path that goes between the station and my house, so that should be a relaxing walk every day. The school is about 20 minutes by foot and 10 by bike from the apartment. Yesterday I also got a nice futon so I will have something to sleep on until my mattress arrives. 100 dollars for the futon, covers, two pillows, and sheets. Today at school we have a lesson on Japanese etiquette and discuss our insurance plans. Can't wait for the Obon (summer) festival in my new neighborhood on Saturday. I will be sure to take lots of picture.

The restaurant we went to last night specialized in various types of roasted fish. (below is one of the restaurant's specialties: tiny fish fried into a "tatami" mat and served with Japanese mayonnaise) The coolest part of the restaurant was its "Fresh Beer Machine" which tilts the beer glass as it pours to insure a "perfect head."

1 comment:

Prairie Curty said...

We are going back their for fresh brewskies. Find a really good Katsudon restaurant brotha!