Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tokyo Dreams


What a surreal feeling it is, walking down the corridors of my old high school, seeing all my old teachers and administators. This is going to be a good year, and my cohort of new teachers is going to make it even better. There are five or six new teachers coming in and we are all around the same age. We have been tramping around together, getting to know our new environment, searching for apartments, and celebrating. I am exhausted from translating everything for everyone (apartment details, menus, ingredients for the vegetarians, etc.) but I love translating so there are no complaints here.



My new apartment has been decided upon. It was a toss-up between a two-story thing that was a 15-minute bike-ride from both school and the nearest train station and a relatively spacious one-story right beside Futako station and a 10-minute bike-ride from the school. I chose the latter, and I move in to it on Monday. It is one the fourth floor and has a central kitchen, two bedrooms, and two small balconies. There is a supermarket across the street and a nice gym within five blocks.

Today is the start of Obon, the Japanese summer festival, so I am glad I got my apartment hooked up before the five-day vacation started. Our plans in the next few days are to go to some local festivals and maybe take a day trip to Mount Fuji.

I am missing everyone back home and I can`t wait to have you all as guests over here!

1 comment:

LEM said...

hey..great location!!