Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Mid-year Exam Shivers

EXAMS
It is midyear exam time here and everyone is busy. The humanities department has our exams on the last of three exam days. Everyone is upset because (this is true) humanities teachers usually have more to grade because we (the good ones at least) try to improve our students' writing skills by having them write. This takes longer to grade of course. By putting us last for exams, it means that we can't spend the other exam days grading our writing-intensive stuff. I mean really, I've seen the science and math teachers "grade" their exams! They put the stack of scan tron papers in the machine and the smooth tray gently sends each one through. When they are all done gliding through the machine, the "grading" is over. These are the teachers who should have their exams last!
Enough Shop Talk

CORE TEMPS
And now for my theory of core temperature thermodynamics. Having lived in Japan without central heating two different times, I can now safely say that human core temperatures are greatly affected by the lack of central heating. The proof for me was last week when Justyna and I first arrived back from Mom and Dad's centrally-heated house in Carmel. I woke up and walked around the sub-zero house in my underwear without getting a chill at all, even though the heater on the wall was off (as it is every night). This was the case for the first few days. But then, all-of-a-sudden, I started scampering to the toilet in the middle of the night and bundling up as I watched TV after school. No, the actual temperature in the house did not decrease. It has always been jsut above freezing. What has happened (and I am now sure of this) is that my core temperature went down. Think of your core temperature as a little fire that burns inside of you and keeps you warm. The fire needs rejuvenation to keep its temperature up, and this is provided by living in centrally heated homes and working in centrally heated buildings. When those sources of rejuvenation are lost, like in Japan where both home and work are not centrally heated, then your core temp slowly decreases to the point where you are constantly chilly. In the age of environmental awareness, it seems excessive to constantly have the hot air blasting as we do back home in North America. The fossil fuels that are wasted, just so we don't feel chilly, can seem like they are being used for an unnecessary luxury. But having your core temp lowered may make you think twice about this. Perpetual chilliness is not a state I would recommend, but at least I think I know what the science is behind it all. Brrrrrrr.......

1 comment:

Prairie Curty said...

Trist, I was working on a cold weather blog at the same time as you, kinda ironic. Good luck with exams bro! The hockey guys got a kick out of the humping usb dog.