Friday, November 7, 2008

Return to Kagoshima

No, we haven't joined a cult! We are wearing white because we are bathing in a shinto shrine hot spring!

Justyna and I took advantage of our 4-day weekend and flew down to Kagoshima, where I taught english for 2 years. We climbed volcanoes in Kirishima, stayed on the active volcano island of Sakurajima (see title picture), returned to the village of Hiwaki where my post-adolescent Japanese adventures began five years ago, and went to the beach where I spent most of my afternoons with Nick, Karen, and Liz back when I was a layed-back, semi-employed JET.

Seeing the gorgeous sea and mountains of Kag made me remember why it felt so magical to live there. Hidden valleys, tiny villages cut off from the hustle and bustle of modern Japan, sulfurous gases bursting from volcanic vents, other-wordly crators, gorgeous coves and bays, piping hot onsen where you can spend the afternoon relaxing in the remedial water, and delicious regional food like raw chicken with ginger (torisashi), stewed pork, and Satsuma fish cakes.

Aside from a flat tire (which we had to change and pay for according to Japanese rental ettiquette), a general bloated feeling from all the food, and an excursion to a neighboring village that was tainted by a slight hangover, the trip was absolutely wonderful!

Too much food!


Furusato Onsen @ Night!


Late Night Ramen: A Must in Hiwaki


My Taiko Drumming friends sure know how to wlecome back a former member!


My Old House (center)
No one has lived there since I left three years ago!
My garbage and posters were still visible through the windows....


Kirishima Crater Lake (as seen from the top of Mt. karakuni)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Seriously, no one has lived in that house? So crazy! You should bust out your old key and use it as your vacation pad. I wonder if that gigantic spider is still there...?