Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Drinkable Signs of Atumn


Japan, the country with the most vending machines per-capita in the world, does something very unique every year when fall arrives. In addition to the official "start wearing long-sleeves" day, and the official "close the window day" (every office has one), Japan has an official day when all the vending machines begin to offer hot drinks instead of just the cold drinks that are offered during the summer and spring. Just like everything else in this country which prizes uniformity above all, the switch from cold aloe ball drink to hot corn soup beverage happens virtually over night! So, when I went to get a coke during my break today, oblivious to the changing leaves and cool bite in the air, I was unaware of the arrival of the fall until I saw the red strip underneasth the bottow row of drinks in the vending machine. Usually blue (signifying "cold"), the switch to a red strip meant that now hot milk tea, canned coffee, barley tea, and corn soup beverage are now available! Fall has officially arrived in Japan!

1 comment:

hollyanna said...

I love Hot Milk Tea!!! Enjoy one for me, please. Miss you!!